- Dog bites are detected on abattoir inspection when wounds to the skin, resembling bite marks, are found.
- Damage and bruising to underlying tissue may be present and wounds may be infected.
- Bite wounds are most found on the back legs.
- Reluctance to walk due to pain.
- There is no certain way to distinguish between domestic and wild dog attacks.
- The size of the puncture marks; their location and nature help distinguish between foxes, dogs and the talons of birds of prey.
- Muzzle biting dogs.
- Improve dog training and management.
- Control dingoes and wild dogs.